Wednesday, July 14, 2010

First Ride

Went out to Beechwood last night for the first ride on the new niner.

This is the build:

niner SIR9 frame
Vassago ODIS fork
crank bros Iodine headset
crank bros eggbeater sl pedals
Stan's ZTR Arch rims on Phil Wood SS Disc hubs
Sapim bladed spokes
Race Face Deus stem and bars
Avid bb7 brakes
Avid speed dial 7 levers
ergon grips
Race Face evolve SS crankset/bb
Thomson seatpost
WTB Laser V saddle
Alligator Fortress brake cables
Schwalbe Doc Blue sealant
Schwalbe Racing Ralph tires 2.25 rear, 2.4 front

There are a couple of changes that I'd like to make, but overall it's very close to exactly what I want. Current gearing is 34x19.

Did the parade lap just to feel the roll. Rolls very easy. A couple of brake and saddle tweaks and I was back on to head out for my lap. First two bridges felt good and I noticed that the bike when uphill far better than my old SS. I attribute that to the huge weight difference... especially in the wheelset and tires. I got into the first singletrack and tried to get a flow going. The bike responded well and went wherever I pointed it. That can be both good and bad in my case. It was also quite apparent that I chose wide bars. Tagged a couple of the trees.

As I got into the more rocky parts of the trail, I noticed that the front felt twitchy. Thoughts are I'm no longer used to a rigid fork, the contact patch on the 2.4 was just grabbing more or tire pressure was too high and I was bouncing off the rocks. I'm going with pressure at this point. I don't quite have this tubeless thing figured out yet. Heck, I'm still nervous about not having tubes. I get plenty of input from others about pressure from others, but I'm also nearly twice the size of some of the others.

I was able to roll the rock gardens better than ever. Got up some climbs that I didn't think I'd make my first time out. The tighter sections where aim and go. Steering didn't require much input. The bike is quick and even more comfortable than I thought it would be.

It all added up to the best first lap I've ever had.

No comments: